Thursday 14 May 2009

The Art of Fashion Sketching


OK, I’ll admit to having not picked up a pencil since textiles lessons at school so when I was asked to demonstrate my fashion sketching I was just a little nervous. It was inevitable that I would have to get to grips with sketching though- often it’s the easiest and most concise way of sharing ideas and inspirations with a client.

The difficulty of translating the beautiful ideas floating around in my head to a simple but inspiring sketch should not be underestimated. Preliminary web research said start with the basics they tell me, create some croquis and go from there. With the help of some fantastic templates from www.designersnexus.com and a few online refresher lessons from www.fashion-templates.com (which has some really stunning sketches) sometime later I am surrounded by hundreds of naked sketches.


Once I’ve got the hang of sketching croquis I needed to develop them by clothing them. Taking inspiration from my own wardrobe I started to draw some summer basics.

I know that practice makes perfect and after drawing 10 A3 sheets with 4 sketches per sheet I
must be getting there- a sketch has gone from taking me an hour to about 20 minutes. I feel confident drawing women but men?! I just cannot get the pose and proportion right so as they say...back to the drawing board! Faces and men are going to take a while longer. It’s a work in progress!



Hanna



1 comment:

Unknown said...

There are some things you will want to remember when looking for fashion pictures online, and we will pass some of the things in the text below. The first thing you will want to do is find a professional web site that offers fashion design professional looking for sketchers.

www.fashion-design-course.com/